Sports and Entertainment
Bush Ross has experience representing youth sports organizations, athletic associations, community recreational organizations, sports facilities and academies, not-for-profits, parks and playgrounds, aquatic centers, referees and officials, amateur and professional athletes, equipment manufacturers and distributors, coaches, and club boards of directors. We currently represent a wide variety of sports and recreation clients including health clubs, the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Club, the Amateur Athletic Association (AAU), the Florida High School Athletics Association (FHSAA), RSL Florida, as well as little leagues, colleges and universities, and facilities with pools and playgrounds.
Our attorneys provide litigation services in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death, products liability, and breach of contract actions, as well as adverse governing board administrative rulings. We also advise clients regarding insurance and liability protections. Bush Ross attorneys have provided counsel and advice for coach screenings and discipline, interpretation and application of rules, and administration of claims.
With respect to transactional and business matters, we have experience in reviewing, drafting, and negotiating various types of agreements and documents for our sports and recreation clients, including use agreements, parent-player agreements, releases, waivers, standard operating procedures, bylaws, and indemnity agreements. Bush Ross has provided counsel with respect to the formation, organization, and corporate matters of an international baseball academy, which houses, trains, and showcases baseball players. Our attorneys drafted and negotiated an exclusive referral agreement with an entity that represents professional baseball players on behalf of the baseball academy.
Bush Ross has represented prominent individual athletes, coaches and broadcasters, including top professionals in tennis and golf, and prominent major leaguers in baseball, football, hockey and basketball. These matters have involved various forms of personal business advice, including real estate purchases and regulatory matters, formation of private business entities (for profit and not for profit), antenuptial agreements, estate and other personal planning, management of private foundations and public charities, and the like. In addition, our attorneys have advised prominent athletes on brand management, public relations, rights of publicity and privacy, endorsement contracts, agent and management agreements, and employment contracts following retirement from the playing field.
In the entertainment industry, our attorneys have advised clients on matters involving publicity and image rights, life rights agreements, conceptualization and marketing of a reality television show, waiver and release agreements for reality show participants, disputed ownership of television show concepts, access to music rights, and agency and management agreements.
- Defense of a world #1 ranked tennis player in federal court litigation brought by a shoe and apparel company for breach of an endorsement contract and fraud;
- Defense of a different world #1 tennis player in federal court litigation over rights of publicity arising from an unauthorized video production sold in the U.S. and Japan;
- Defense of a top ten tennis player in federal court litigation brought by a major sports management agency asserting breach of an agency/representation contract;
- Defense of a world #1 tennis player in federal court litigation brought by a major sports management agency asserting breach of an agency/representation contract;
- Negotiation and pre-litigation on behalf of an underage professional tennis player in disaffirming a shoe and apparel endorsement contract with a European manufacturer;
- Federal court litigation on behalf of an underage professional tennis player establishing the illegality of a personal loan from a major U.S. bank;
- AAA arbitration on behalf of a former major league head coach regarding payment of amounts due him from the team following termination of his services;
- Litigation oversight and advice on behalf of a professional golfer charged with breach of a sports agent/representation agreement;
- Representation of a prominent professional baseball coach and scout with respect to defamation in a former player’s “memoir.”
- Representation of an All-Pro professional football player in litigation to recover monies lent to his former agent;
- Representation of an All-Star professional basketball player seeking to recover personal and corporate records from a former agent;
- Defense of a prominent sports recreation and training facility in the investigation and pre-litigation of matters involving accidental and alleged wrongful deaths, including advice with respect to subsequent remedial measures; and
- Representation of a private secondary school in administrative rule-making proceedings before the FHSAA.