Our Healthcare Practice attorneys have in-depth knowledge and broad technical experience acquired over many years of practice together. We, therefore, are able to provide individual, institutional, and organizational healthcare clients with a comprehensive array of legal services. By staying abreast of the emerging regulatory changes, legal developments, and business challenges that face our clients in today’s fast-paced, heavily regulated, and ever-changing healthcare landscape, we deliver practical advice and cost-effective, comprehensive representation tailored to our clients’ dynamic needs. We are resulted oriented and client driven.
We represent licensed healthcare providers, acute care hospitals, trauma centers, teaching hospitals, managed care organizations, individual medical professionals, physician organizations, long-term care facilities, and their insurers in all types of disputes involving multi-million-dollar exposure, including malpractice, commercial transaction and civil litigation, licensure investigations and enforcement actions, governmental and regulatory proceedings, peer review proceedings and credentialing matters, business torts, premises liability claims, and discrimination and employment matters.
We also provide healthcare regulatory and transactional advice to hospitals, physicians, physician groups, teaching centers, mental health practitioners and groups, pharmaceutical professionals and organizations, managed care providers, post-acute care providers and others. We routinely handle transactions, operational matters, physician practice matters, Medicare and AHCA licensure, HIPAA privacy matters, PSO issues, and managed care contracting.
Our trial lawyers have cultivated relationships with an impressive network of medical and health care industry experts who assist us in identifying issues early on and properly assessing our cases. We pride ourselves on our early accurate assessments and implementation of legal strategies that often lead to favorable resolution during the early stages of litigation through motion practice, mediation, arbitration, or timely and efficient settlements when advisable. When it is agreed upon to take a case to trial, our accomplished trial attorneys have a proven track record of obtaining favorable jury verdicts.
We also counsel and aid hospitals, medical staffs and committees, institutional review boards, boards of trustees, managed care organizations, health systems and health system executives, physicians and physician organizations, surgical centers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, pharmacies, mental health institutions and professionals, and liability carriers with compliance issues, quality improvement measures, and all types of disputes. We assist our clients in the revision or drafting of bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures designed to effectively ensure regulatory compliance, manage risk, and avoid future litigation.
Our accomplished transactional attorneys assist our healthcare clients with a wide range of services, including drafting and reviewing employment agreements, forming new businesses and subsidiaries, and advising on the proper corporate structure for a healthcare practice. We guide and assist healthcare professionals and organizations facing issues before licensing boards and the internal revenue system. Our estate planning attorneys can ensure that our healthcare clients possess the documents necessary for an effective succession plan. Our mergers and acquisition attorneys have expertise and a wealth of experience in divestitures and acquisitions, ensuring that they can assist healthcare practitioners to successfully maneuver the complicated issues involved in buying and selling healthcare practices.
Our result-driven healthcare practice group is perpetually focused on the goal of advancing and achieving the objectives of our clients in a cost-effective and comprehensive fashion based upon sound advice and experience. Our success in resolving matters before trial and in the courtroom, as well as in providing clients with practical advice and guidance regarding regulatory, business, and other transactional matters is unparalleled.
We provide legal services to healthcare clients in the following areas:
- Malpractice defense of all types healthcare providers and institutions (for profit, non-profit, academic, teaching, and governmental)
- Representation of all types healthcare providers and institutions (for profit, non-profit, academic, teaching, and governmental) in civil litigation of all types
- Representation of Medical Executive Committees, Institutional Review Boards, Hospital Executives and Directors and individual practitioners in internal, administrative and civil matters of all types
- Factual investigations of initial complaints of all types
- Representation of physicians independent of insurance
- Representation of uninsured physicians and groups
- Advice, counseling and assistance in hospital operations matters
- Drafting, and revision of corporate and medical staff bylaws, rules and regs, and policies
- Patient Safety Organizations
- Amendment 7
- Legal audits of professional liability exposure
- Strategic legal guidance to reduce exposure to liability
- Reviews of practice procedures and protocols
- Assistance with NPDB reporting and insurance reporting
- In service training of nurses and medical practitioners
- Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) and Department of Health (DOH) investigations
- Compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements regarding hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging centers, and physician group practices
- Electronic Medical Records issues
- Medical ethics Issues
- The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Managed care litigation, health insurance coverage, third-party administrators (TPAs)
- Healthcare facility and professional licensing and accreditation
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) / Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH), medical records issues, HIV testing and patient confidentiality
- Affordable Care Act issues of many types
- Medical staff issues, peer review, credentialing and policies relating to physician recruiting
- Medicaid, Medicare, government and military/Veterans Administration matters
- Corporate structuring, restricting, and mergers and acquisitions
- Contract review
- Stark and Anti-Kickback statute compliance