Bonita Q. Wang
Bonita Wang focuses her practice on business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and tax controversy (IRS audits), and IRS offshore disclosure matters. Ms. Wang also assists clients in structuring a variety of equity compensation arrangements, executive compensation packages, 409A Compliance, and ERISA matters.
Ms. Wang enjoys representing both start-ups and established business clients. Ms. Wang assists corporate clients on the type of entity selection, business structure and legal framework, routine corporate governance, strategic expansion or exit planning, and tax matters. Ms. Wang enjoys representing her clients in connection with the mergers, acquisitions, and disposition of their business. Ms. Wang also enjoys serving as lead counsel and co-lead counsel for small and middle-market transactions and private equity fund acquisitions.
Ms. Wang frequently represents taxpayers in civil tax controversy matters in front of the IRS, including U.S. Tax Court litigation, handling all aspects of tax audits and collection matters, negotiating payment plans with the IRS, such as installment agreements or offers in compromise. Ms. Wang also represents taxpayers in streamlined filing compliance procedures, delinquent FBAR submission procedures, and IRS Voluntary Disclosure Programs.
Ms. Wang enjoys assisting clients on a variety of equity compensation arrangements, such as grant of options/restricted stock and profit interests, implementation of phantom stock plans, structuring executive severance packages, and 409A compliance. Ms. Wang also assists clients on qualified ERISA plans (including 401(k) plans) compliance matters.
Ms. Wang speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese.
When not working, Ms. Wang enjoys cooking and spending time with her family.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Hillsborough County Bar Association
The Florida Bar
- Tax Section
The Georgia Bar
West Coast Employee Benefits Council
- Past Board of Directors
- Past Secretary
Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Chinese American Association of Tampa Bay
Brandon Chamber of Commerce
Riverview Chamber of Commerce
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as Top Lawyer, Tampa magazine (2021 - 2023)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Wang is a frequent speaker and writer of legal topics. Below is a list of sample articles and presentations of Ms. Wang:
Articles and advisories
- Court Revisits FBAR Willfulness Requirement and Concludes Taxpayer Is Not Willful (September 29, 2017)
- Meals and Entertainment Expenses Can Be 100% Deductible (July 14, 2017)
- Choose Opt Out Wisely in Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs (April 12, 2017)
- Procedural Oversight by IRS Turns Out to Be a Good Weapon for Taxpayer (April 5, 2017)
- IRS and DOJ are Reviewing and Scrubbing Offshore Accounts Data to Build Civil and Criminal Cases (June 29, 2016)
- Passport Maybe Revoked If Owing More Than $50,000 in Taxes (February 8, 2016)
- Possible Changes to IRS Audits of High Income Individuals (December 8, 2015)
- Innocent Spouse Relief Granted Due to Spousal Abuse Even If Requesting Spouse Had Knowledge of Tax Deficiency (August 31, 2015)
- Cross Boarder Activities Benefits of Filing Protective Returns (July 1, 2015)
- IRS New Guidance Significantly Reduces Maximum FBAR Penalties (June 24, 2015)
- Innocent Spouse Relief and Recent Guidance (June 11, 2015)
-Tax presentation for Stetson Law School (January, 2023)
- Presentation at Fowler White Boggs Tax Controversy Luncheon: New Guidelines for the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (August 2014)
- Presentation at Fowler White Boggs Tax Controversy Luncheon: Windsor Impact on Employee Benefits (November 2013)
- Presentation at Fowler White Boggs Tax Controversy Luncheon: Recent Changes to IRS Correction Programs for Retirement Plans (February 2013)
Ms. Wang was born and raised in China.
University of Florida, LL.M., Taxation
- Tax Scholar
- Merit Based Scholarship
Mercer University, J.D., cum laude
- Mercer Law Review, Senior Managing Editor
- Dean's List
- Merit Based Scholarship and Stipend
- Tax Law Society (chair of speaker committee)
Nan Kai University, B.A.
- Merit Based Scholarship
Bar and Court Admissions
United States Tax Court